July 6, 2011

Endometriosis, Diet, and Depression


I've been doing a lot of researching online lately about Endometriosis, and Depression & Anxiety and how Diet plays a roll in both of them. I found some really interesting articles I wanted to share.

The Diet and Depression article on Yahoo caught my eye when I saw the heading
 "Carb Up – Calm Down" :] heres a quick exert: 


"If you're suffering from depression, the Atkins Diet may not be the right choice for you. That's because eating foods that are high in carbohydrates (such as pastas and breads) naturally raises the amount of serotonin in the brain."


I also looked into the Endometriosis Diet and I was surprised with how much they suggest you cut out of your diet. That might be hard for me.  Here's a little exert: 


      TO SUM UP
  • increase omega-3 fatty acids
  • avoid meat, dairy products, wheat and sugar
  • increase fiber
  • modulate estrogen
  • avoid caffeine and alcohol
  • avoid refined foods, e-numbers, additives
  • minimize or avoid soy products as they contain high levels of phytoestrogens, and soy contains a particular toxin which seems to be particularly detrimental for women with Endometriosis
  • peel fruit and vegetables to remove toxic chemicals
  • eat organic produce wherever possible
  • drink lots of filtered or mineral water

Then after I read about the Endometriosis diet I found a great article on one of my favorite sites.  It was titled "I feel terrible but I don't want to change anything". Sounds relevant for me, huh? Let me give you a sneak peek at that as well: 

"The saddest thing to me is how we view food and our lifestyle. I almost want to cry when I suggest to someone that they cut out sugar or dairy or wheat and they say: “That is too hard, I couldn’t possibly cut any of those out of my diet!”. What amazes me is that these girls are suffering, each and every day."-Cureendometriosis.com


All three of these articles have put some extra knowledge in my head and now I have a lot to think about.  Have you ever followed any of these diets or have a similar experience? Let me know!

Until next time,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment